What are Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies?
A cookie is a small text file that can be stored on and accessed from your device when you visit one of our Sites, to the extent you agree. The other tracking technologies work similarly to cookies and place small data files on your devices or monitor your website activity to enable us to collect information about how you use our Sites. This allows our Sites to recognize your device from those of other users of the Sites. The information provided below about cookies also applies to these other tracking technologies. For more information you can see the following reference pages: www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
To administer our Sites and for research purposes, GII also might contracted with third-party service providers to track and analyze statistical usage and volume information from our Site users. These third-party service providers use persistent Cookies to help us to improve the user experience, manage our Site content, and analyze how users navigate and utilize the Sites.
To ensure a high level of transparency and security, our privacy statement as set forth below will inform you about the nature, scope and purpose of any collection, use and processing of personal data recorded by us.
- External Links
- Categories of Personal Data that we process
- first name, last name, date of birth, email address, country, job title, phone number, fax number, company name, used products of GII and additional information that you provide when contacting us using our websites, especially information provided in free text fields of contact forms ("contact data");
- additional data that you provide to GII in comments on the GII websites, especially in forms of discussion boards and using the comment features of blogs ("comment data");
- additional data that you provide to GII while applying for a job, e.g. your CV, certificates, attestations, etc. ("job application data");
- email address, phone number, name, company name and country provided when subscribing to a newsletter or other marketing information of GII ("direct marketing data") (see section 7).
- personal data sent by your web browser, i.e. information about your type of web browser, your operating system and selected settings (e.g. language, region, font size, font types and other configuration) may be collected ("browser data");
- your IP address, information about the amount of data transferred, stored in access log files ("usage data").
- Purposes and Lawfulness of the Data Processing
In so far that you have given the consent, GII will also use your personal data for marketing purposes, e.g. to send newsletters (see section 7). The lawfulness for processing this data is our legitimate interest, e.g. to improve our services, or your consent.
In so far that you have given the consent, we will also use your browser data for market research and the improvement of our websites and services, and to improve your user experience. The lawfulness for processing this data is your consent or our legitimate interest.
In so far that you have given the consent, we will also collect your usage data for statistical purposes, for the analysis of advertisement on our websites, and for adapting the advertisement for our products and services to better match your interests. Log files are only used for statistical analysis of the visitors of the GII websites. The data is deleted after having been analyzed. The lawfulness for processing this data for statistical purposes is our legitimate interest, e.g. internal organization, or your consent.
Providing the direct marketing data and browser data is optional. If you do now provide this data, you will not receive any direct marketing information from us and your data will not be used to improve your user experience and will not be used for statistical purposes.
We will also use your usage data for internal system-specific purposes to secure the websites and IT systems from malicious attacks by third parties. The lawfulness is a balancing of interests of the conflicting interests of the security of the IT systems on our part and your potentially conflicting interests in a non-processing of the usage data by us. Taking into account the security and organizational measures of the processing of the usage data by GII, we consider your rights and interests appropriately taken into account and protected.
Beyond these purposes, we use and process your data only if you have expressly granted your prior consent thereto and if you have been informed about such purposes. For example, you may stipulate in an online job application whether we may also review such application with respect to other positions in our company. Only if this is the case, we will use such data for the respective purpose.
In particular, GII does not use your personal data for automated individual decisions and profiling.
- Data recipients
- contact data: any departments that might be involved to process your request
- comment data: marketing or the respective product departments that are responsible for operating the blogs or discussion boards
- job application data: HR and the departments that are responsible for the job position that you apply to
- direct marketing data: marketing and sales departments responsible for your region
- browser data and usage data: marketing and the IT departments that are responsible for operating the respective websites
These service providers may be located outside the European Union or the European Economic Area (see section 6).
GII is a globally operating corporation. In order to better process your matter, it might be necessary to forward your data to local subsidiaries or to local distribution partners, whose registered office might also be located in countries outside the European Union (see section 6). However, such data transfers only take place within the GII group companies listed in Annex 1 and only for the aforementioned purposes. The lawfulness of the data export is our legitimate interest or legitimate interests of the recipients, e.g. internal administrative purposes, and no higher legitimate interests on your part, the fulfillment of legal obligations or your consent.
Beyond that, we do not forward your data to other third parties, unless we are obliged to do so by virtue of statutory provisions or order of any judicial or other public authorities or you have explicitly given your consent for that purpose. In particular, your personal data will not be sold, leased or exchanged.
- Data Transfers to Third Countries
Unless there is an adequacy decision by the EU Commission for these states or the transfer is based on an exemption provided for by the GDPR (e.g. express consent, assertion, exercise or defense of legal rights), we take all necessary measures to ensure that transfers to such organizations are adequately protected, e.g. by signing the standard contractual clauses stipulated by the EU Commission with the data recipients. You may request a copy of these reasonable warranties by contacting our Data Protection Department at: email@example.com
A transfer of data to official authorities in countries outside the European Union or the European Economic Area (so-called third countries) takes place, if required by law, you have given us your express consent or this is legitimated by the legitimate interest of us or the third party for data protection purposes, e.g. internal administrative purposes and no higher legitimate interests on your part.
- Information sent by Email
Providing your email address or telephone number for direct marketing purposes is voluntary. If you do not provide these to us, you will not receive any advertising from us.
- Data Protection for Minors
- Technical and Organizational Data Protection
GII implements the technical and organizational measures that are commercially reasonable in relation to the respective purpose of data protection, in order to protect the information provided by you against abuse and loss. Such data is stored in a secure operating environment that is not accessible to the public. In addition, each of our employees is instructed on data protection and obliged to enter into a confidentiality agreement.
- Retention Periods
- Data Subject Rights
To exercise these rights, please contact our Data Protection Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to file a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority.
Please feel free to direct any questions, comments, or complaints regarding this privacy statement or the privacy practices of GII to our Data Protection Officer:
G II - German Innovation Institution GmbH
10587 Berlin - Germany